Monday, April 18, 2011

"7"

Anne Hall

The wonders of the ancient world, from Babylon to Rhodes,
The colors of the rainbow, the multiplying loaves,
Bright menorah candles on dark December nights
The stars of Ursa Major, those familiar twinkling lights,
The spots of lucky lady bugs, munching on the lawn,
And perhaps most famous of them all…the dashing Mr. Bond.

These things I’ve listed share a trait, a fascinating tie
Within the mind of humankind, and in nature earth and sky
For seven is their hallmark; seven stands apart because
Seven is a magic number, if ever one there was.
And so I think it’s fitting, even if it makes us blue
That I’ve had seven splendid years at Trident and with you.

Years one through three were tough ones; I taught a lot of boys,
Only Matt remembers the classrooms and the noise.
They say what doesn’t kill you only makes you strong
And thus my teaching skills improved as those years passed along.
6th grade ancient studies was what changed everything
And many students here still know their rivers, maps, and kings.

Years four though six were seamless, I taught, I learned, I laughed
We did yoga in the lunch room, made masks and other crafts,
Ate fruits with Esperanza, built castles for Crispin
I’ve heard them say they wish that they could do it all again!
The food, the fun, the field trips, the contests, and the games,
We learned so much that none of us will ever be the same.

Yes, myself included, you’ve taught me all I know
My cup is running over, and now it’s time to go.
We’ve had seven back to school nights, seven Mardi Gras parades
Seven times I’ve made you read your poems up here upon this stage
Seven years of watching as you change before my eyes
As you learn new things and try new wings and then take off and fly.

I don’t know how to thank you; I’m not sure what to say
So I’ll dedicate this poem instead to all of you today
To all your perseverance to all your grit and drive
To all you bring to every day you come to school and try.
You are amazing students, and I’m lucky to have been
For seven years, your teacher, your leader and your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment