Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Night to Remember

Rhonda McKenna

 I have recently witnessed a newsworthy event that I felt needed to be shared. It was Trident Academy’s Homecoming! The basketball was very exciting, but I have to admit what made the night memorable for me was watching my daughter stand in front of the entire crowd with an amazingly huge smile across her face. This was her first experience for being nominated Homecoming Queen. Not only was she beautiful, she was happy! In order to truly appreciate this event you have to know my daughter. She is not the kind of girl who likes being center of attention at all. In fact, it truly is something she struggles with. She has always worked so hard at blending in throughout her school career. If the teachers didn’t notice her, they wouldn’t single her out and make her feel badly about what she didn’t know. Now that she is a student at Trident Academy, she feels more confident about herself and is beginning to appreciate being recognized for who she is -- a lovely young lady who learns differently. She had the confidence that night to stand in front of a very crowded gymnasium full of parents, faculty, and her peers. I know how nervous she was because I watched her carefully walk down our stairs in her heels (which is not a normal shoe choice of hers) with a look on her face asking me if she could really go through with this. This was something she never would have done two years ago, and the fact that she was able to follow through with this event speaks volumes. I truly get very emotional when I think about how far she has come and how supportive this school has been in getting her there. She is having experiences she never would in another school setting. Although she did not get crowned Homecoming Queen that evening, the memory will be with her forever. Thank you Trident for helping my daughter realize how amazing she is!

Rhonda McKenna
Proud mother of Senior Fallon McKenna

No comments:

Post a Comment