Thursday, January 13, 2011

Let's share our moments

Before my son graduated from Trident Academy four years ago, he used to often comment that he had to tell me about a "Trident Moment" he had had that day. Often this moment was about something that had happened during his school day, something that one of his classmates had said or done. I remember saying that some of his stories were worthy of publishing.

It's difficult to start, to pick the special moment that stands out the most, but one of my favorite moments came about when I had loaned a student of mine an electronic pen to take home to test. This pen, called a Pulse Pen, had just appeared on the market, and as I am curious about all things electronic that may be useful to our students, I had purchased one to try out. Of course, not having the time to give to experimenting with the pen, I chose to give it to one of my seniors to try, asking that he report back to me. The next morning he came to class and was beaming brightly. "So," I asked, "what do you think?"  "Mrs. Silgals," he responded, "for the first time, I think I can actually be successful in college."

Just yesterday a student who is in my assistive technology homework haven, was in his normal rushed state to get his work done so that he could move on to something more entertaining. We were packing him up when he reminded me that he needed to print his homework. I figured I could do this quickly enough, so I said, "..., let me print it out since you are in a hurry." He looked at me with this big grin on his face, and replied, "Now, Mrs. Silgals, I am going to trust you to do this for me. You promise?" Responsibility and trust is of major importance to this student.

Another AT homework haven moment came about one day when I was helping a student with a math problem. Truthfully, I was not paying close enough attention as I was multi-tasking, trying to help more than one student at a time. The student came to homework haven the next day and informed me that the problem I helped him with was not correct. He said, "Don't worry, Mrs. Silgals. I did not tell Mrs. Fell that you helped me with it."  Like I said, responsibility and trust is important.

Special memories are created on a daily basis at Trident Academy. We have special students, teachers, and parents. This blog is dedicated to those special moments. Here on this blog, I will share some of my Trident moments with you. Please feel free to comment or even submit your own special moments for publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment